- As a new father, have to say it's worth it. One coo or one smile and your heart melts even at stupid o'clock in the morning.--Norman Ansari (on Twitter, March 1, 2016)
- By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he's wrong.--Charles Wadsworth
- Dads need to show an incredible amount of respect and humor and friendship toward their mate so the kids understand their parents are passionate, they're fun, they do things together, they're best friends. Kids learn by example. If I respect Mom, they're going to respect Mom.--Tim Allen
- The debt of gratitude we owe our mother and father goes forward, not backward. What we owe our parents is the bill presented to us by our children.--Nancy Friday
- Fatherhood is pretending the present you love the most is soap-on-a-rope.--Bill Cosby
- For it is impossible for a man to put forward fair and honest views about our affairs if he has not, like everyone else, children whose lives may be at stake.--Asphasia (from a speech given by Pericles which Asphasia wrote)
- The fundamental defect of fathers is that they want their children to be a credit to them.--Bertrand Russell (New York Times, June 9, 1963)
- The greatest mark of a father is how he treats his children when no one is looking.--Dan Pearce (Single Dad Laughing)
- The hardest part of raising a child is teaching them to ride bicycles. A father can only ride beside the bicycle or stand yelling directions while the child falls. A shaky child on a bicycle for the first time needs both support and freedom.--Sloan Wilson (What Shall We Wear to This Party?)
- He opened the jar of pickles when no one else could. He was the only one in the house who wasn't afraid to into the basement by himself. He cut himself shaving, but no one kissed it or got excited about it. It was understood when it rained, he got the car and brought it around to the door. When anyone was sick, he went out to get the prescription filled. He took lots of pictures ... but he was never in them.--Erma Bombeck (Family--the Ties that Bind ... And Gag)
- "I always wondered why God was supposed to be a father," she whispers. "Fathers always want you to measure up to something. Mothers are the ones who love you unconditionally, don't you think?"--Jodi Picoult
- I believe that what we become depends on what our fathers teach us at odd moments, when they aren't trying to teach us. We are formed by little scraps of wisdom.--Umberto Eco (Foucault's Pendulum)
- I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father's protection.--Sigmund Freud
- I talk and talk and talk, and I haven't taught people in 50 years what my father taught by example in one week.--Mario Cuomo
- I was my father's daughter... I am many things besides, but I am daddy's girl too, and so I will remain - all the way to the old folk's home.--Paula Weideger
- It doesn't matter who my father was; it matters who I remember he was.--Anne Sexton ("All God's Children Need Radios" in Ms.)
- It is much easier to become a father than to be one.--Kent Nerburn (Letters to My Son: Reflections on Becoming a Man)
- It's clear that most American children suffer too much mother and too little father.--Gloria Steinem
- Mama seemed to do only what my father wanted, and yet we lived the way my mother wanted us to live.--Lillian Hellman
- Mender of toys, leader of boys
Changer of fuses, kisser of bruises,
Bless him, dear Lord.
Mover of couches, soother of ouches,
Pounder of nails, teller of tales,
Reward him, O Lord.
Hanger of screens, counselor of teens,
Fixer of bikes, chastiser of tykes,
Help him, O Lord.
Raker of leaves, cleaner of eaves,
Dryer of dishes, fulfiller of wishes ...
Bless him, O Lord.--Jo Ann Heidbreder
- The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother.--Henry Ward Beecher
- My dear father; my dear friend; the best and wisest man I ever knew, who taught me many lessons and showed me many things as we went together along the country by-ways.--Sarah Orne Jewett (Country By-Ways)
- My dear father! When I remember him, it is always with his arms open wide to love and comfort me.--Isobel Field (The Life I've Lived)
- My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could give another person, he believed in me.--Jim Valvano
- My father instilled in me that if you don't see things happening the way you want them to, you get out there and make them happen.--Susan Powter
- My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it. I never did like to work, and I don't deny it. I'd rather read, tell stories, crack jokes, talk, laugh - anything but work.--Abraham Lincoln
- My father used to play with my brother and me in the yard. Mother would come out and say, "You're tearing up the grass." "We're not raising grass," my dad would reply, "we're raising boys."--Harmon Killebrew
- My father was always there for me when I lost. But, then, I never really lost when my father was there.--Laurie Beth Jones (Grow Something Besides Old)
- My heart is happy, my mind is free
I had a father who talked with me.--Hilda Bigelow
- There are 3 stages in a man's life: "My Daddy can whip you Daddy." "Aw, Dad, you don't know anything." "My father used to say...".--Dwight McSmith
- When I was a kid, my father told me every day, "You're the most wonderful boy in the world, and you can do anything you want to."--Jan Hutchins (on radio station KGO, San Francisco, 1988)
- You don't have to deserve your mother's love. You have to deserve your father's. He's more particular.--Robert Frost (Writers at Work)
- Your father doesn’t need another Father’s Day tie, wallet, or sweater. If you want to give him a gift he will treasure forever, buy a nice picture frame. Inside it put a handwritten note telling him he did a good job with specific memories of how he’s enriched your life. Then tell him how much you love him.-–Michael Josephson
- You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was.--Irish Proverb
Quote of the Day Home Page
Created and maintained by email@example.com. All pages of this site copyright © 1998-2017.
This page last updated January 1, 2017.